Goals for 2017
Happy Monday and Happy 2017! It’s the first official day of the New Year in many people’s book (though I did get started on some of my goals yesterday!) and the first workday (for me) of 2017. Last year, I made some resolutions, but I failed miserably at sticking with them. I also had a word of the year. And if I had to choose a word for this year, it would be GROWTH. I don’t want to be in the same spot this time next year. I want to grow as a person, grow my relationships, and grow my blog!
Consistent Posting (3x week). My problem, year after year after year, is consistency. Come on Allison get it together, right? I start off great at the beginning of the year and then taper off usually around August and pick back up in December. What?! This year, I hope to stick to a consistent 3 posts a week schedule and build out my content calendars.
- One of the ways I think I can start nipping this in the bud is the use of content calendars and planning on my content. A lot of the time, I just let my content come to me–there’s no real schedule.
- This consistency goal also pertains to scheduling tweets/being active on each platform. I can goes days without tweeting if I don’t have a new post up–same with Facebook. I need to focus on promoting some of my old content and other’s content too!
Grow my Social Media Channels. Social Media is the way I connect and keep up with y’all, my readers! Growth, as I’ve already established, is my word of the year–so obviously I want to grow each of my social media channels!
- Twitter: Now-936 | Goal-5,000
- Clearly reaching for the stars here, but go big or go home, right? My Twitter could use some work and attention–I started it around the same time as my Instagram and as you can see below, I have WAY more followers on that platform.
- Instagram: Now-2,968 | Goal-5,000
- Are we seeing a trend here? Just kidding. Instagram is one of my FAVORITE platforms to use despite all of their algorithm changes recently and it shows in the numbers.
- Facebook: Now-705 | Goal-2,000
- I recently learned that because of Facebook’s algorithm, if you aren’t spending money with them, only 3% of your followers are seeing your content. That sucks. That means like 2ish people, most of which are my family, see my posts. While I don’t spend money on Facebook, the more I grow my page likes, the more people will organically see my posts!
- Pinterest: Now-507 | Goal-2,000
- I recently signed up for one Melissa Griffin’s Pinterest courses and I can’t wait to grow this one platform that truly can help me reach more people!
Launch a Newsletter. This year will be the year of Because I Said So’s first ever newsletter. Launch date: TBD. I’ve been doing my research and it naturally seems like that’s the next step for my blog. Stay tuned!
Attend a Blog Conference. I’ve been wanting to do this since I first started blogging and learned that there was such a thing! Now to find the right one–have suggestions, leave them in the comments!
Get into the BEST shape of my life. I pretty much say this every single year, but this time for real. I’m not getting any younger and now that we’re married and thinking about children in the WAY OFF FUTURE, I want to become my best self for the hypothetical children we may have one of these days (Read: NOT SOON). Plus, I’m tired of the back and forth dieting and overall unhealthiness of my life. Eating an entire bag of powdered donuts may have worked when I was in high school, but clearly that was years ago and no longer is a thing. Here’s how I plan to kick of 2017 in the health and fitness department:
- The Blogilates #28dayreset: I started this yesterday, technically, and so far so good (I even went to the gym–on a weekend). But cutting out gluten, added sugars, alcohol, dairy, and processed foods is not and will not be a walk in the park. I had HUGE success cutting out gluten part of last year and even though I’m not intolerant to it, cutting it out made me feel SO MUCH BETTER.
- Complete CouchTo5K and actually run a 5K: I almost finished this last year and even got to the point where I was running for 2o minutes straight (which is a huge deal for me). This year, I will complete the program and run my first 5K in years!
Read 52 books. Yes, you read that right. I want to read one book a week. It shouldn’t be too hard–I read two books on Saturday. I’ve always loved to read and love getting lost in the storyline. And so Josh doesn’t have a heart attack wondering how we are going to afford 52 books:
- In 2017, I’ll sign up for a library card! I’ve had library cards my whole life in various cities/states I’ve lived, but since we moved to a new parish, I have yet to get one. P.S. Does anyone remember when libraries stamped the return date on a card in the back of the book?
Cook more. Eat out less. Considering my previous goal to be healthier, cooking seems like a no brainer. Except, I’m still getting acquainted with the kitchen. Cooking dinner for a picky, always on some diet person (aka me) and a just plain picky husband is hard work. Vegetables. No. Fruits. Barely. It’s hard to be creative with meals when you’re cutting out gluten, but that’s all your husband eats. Pinterest will be my BFF this year as far as the recipe search goes. Don’t worry, Girl’s Night is and will most certainly still be a weekly thing 🙂
With these goals, I hope to achieve a better version of myself by this time next year! And by writing all of my goals down, I now have all of you to hold me accountable, as well as, my blog besties Kait + Liz to bounce ideas off of! Happy 2017 everyone!